Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So what side am I on anyway?

For about a month now I have been studying the topic of Surveillance for my topic research paper for Language Arts 9. Now this so far has been quite the interesting topic in a sense that you either really love it or you do not. From RF ID chips being planted in employees arms to watching us with infrared cameras in our backyards at night, surveillance is just one of those things that personally creeps me out and startles me. So just from that sentence there most of you should now know that I am no a big fan of surveillance by a lot. Now the issue that came up and that I discussed in my previous PLN entry were Security over Freedom. This one can be well illustrated in many books and movies such George Orwell's book 1984 and George Lucas's THX-1138  where in both security and surveillance dominates the society and has taken all of the freedoms of the people that are inhabitants in these stories. So overall I don't want that to happen to our society so I choose freedom over seeming surveillance for security purposes that will no be all that useful in the long run when catching terrorists. What do you guys think? Security coupled with surveillance or freedom?

No comments:

Post a Comment